Chicago to Boston to Chicago

Monday, December 04, 2006


In the last few years I've had problems with my back. Fortunately I worked for a Chiropractor so the pain never lasted long. Even when I moved on to another job Dr. Ron would still work on me whenever I needed it. This picture was taken in his office a week before I moved.

Last night while cleaning, I tried to pick up a heavy box and threw out my low back. I immediately started icing it, knowing that the real pain doesn't set in until the next day, and hoped for the best.

I woke up this morning and could barely move. Couldn't walk, couldn't sit, couldn't stand…bad news. I found a Chiropractor in the North End and set up an appointment. In my fragile state I forgot to ask some important questions and upon arrival I knew I made a mistake. It was clear that this doctor only worked on little old ladies and might not have the strength to work on me. His first words were 'You’re too young for this.' Great...thanks.

Old Lady: Doc, me and my husband bought cemetery plots today.

Dr: For you or him?

Old Lady: Both of us. We're going to kill each other....HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dr: Where did you get them?

Old Lady: In that big Italian cemetery in St. Michael's. His German ancestry is not happy about it...HAHAHAHAHAHA.....too bad.

I walked out of there in the same condition as when I walked in. I put on my ipod and started gingerly shuffling down the cold street. A classic 'feel sorry for yourself' song came on and I just started crying. Crying and shuffling and sniffling. It was pathetic.

I emailed Dr. Ron and he referred me to a guy he knows, who also happens to be the Chiropractor for the Boston Red Sox. I suppose if this guy is strong enough to work on David Ortiz, he can work on me too.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man...you poor thing. I've so been there. There is nothing worse than being alone and cold and having something hurting you. Take it easy and then I bet this new doc will get you to feeling better.

Hang in there!

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon!

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that CiN is up on the computer.

And I hope you feel better.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't mention back injuries and Big Papi. It makes me nervous. Also if you happen to mention a hilarious show you know that is about Red Sox fans in a bar that would be sweet.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Walking Into Pictures said...

You mean Cheers? They were Red Sox fans, right?

Consider it mentioned.

4:43 PM  
Blogger tara d. said...

aw! this post makes me love you. it's funny how one thing like that can make you snap. i hope you're feeling better!

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home