Chicago to Boston to Chicago

Wednesday, November 29, 2006


Jackie, Doug, and I split a Scorpion Bowl at The Hong Kong, a Chinese restaurant in Harvard Square. A Scorpion Bowl is a bunch of different liquors, pineapple juice, cranberry juice, and orange slices. When you get to the bottom half of the bowl it starts to taste like Listerine. It's gross but traditional in Boston. A few friends in Chicago, originally from the Boston area, told me this was one of the first things I had to have. Check it off the list.

Above the Hong Kong is a comedy theater. I found out that a lot of Chinese restaurants host improv groups and stand up comedians. In Chicago most improv done outside a theater happens at bar and is referred to as 'barprov.' The idea of improv at a Chinese restaurant is as bizarre to me as Canadian bags of milk; it's functional but not what I'm used to.

Improv at a Chinese restaurant doesn't have a name. I will call it 'chineserestaurantprov.'

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wontonprov.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Mags said...

"tenminuteprov"

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iswearitsnotcatmeatprov

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rumor has it that if you order the right combination of egg rolls and won tons, you will get a prostitute. Or cocaine. Or a rather large number of egg rolls and won tons.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Arnie said...

implov

12:29 AM  
Blogger Lacy said...

when I went to Emerson, I saw so many shows there and even did a handful myself. It was one of the only places that didn't [consistently] card you for being 21-and-up.
In fact, my friends and I got to know the owner's standup routine so well that we often joked about writing a sketch that was just us doing Rick's routine.

"This is the best club that Marlboro Miles can buy!" (does he still use that joke?)

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home