Chicago to Boston to Chicago

Sunday, December 24, 2006


I woke up this morning at 8:40am. My flight to Chicago left at 7:00am.

Got to the airport at 9:00am and was put on a flight for 8:00pm and told I was on the stand by list for every flight going to Chicago. A flight left about every hour and a half.

It was my fault from over sleeping but this didn't stop me from silently crying at the counter every time I watched an airplane fill up with excited passengers. There were a handful of people in my position, and we would crowd around the gate during every boarding anxiously waiting for our names to be called. After two planes left a man approached me and we began to make small talk. Both of us knew we would be stuck here for a while, and he didn't seem like he was going to kill me or ask for my number, so we decided to pass the time together. It turned out he was originally from Africa and moved to Boston to get his masters in mental disorders. Now he works with the mentally handicapped.

Me: I feel horrible for yelling at that woman at the ticket counter.

Him: It's ok, you have a right to be angry. But even when you were angry or when you were cry, I can tell you are joyful person.

With his African accent this somehow sounded wise.

8 hours later we got on a flight.

Him: Well we are not sitting together but may I have your telephone number so I may say hello to you?

I did make it to Christmas Eve with my family. Just in time to watch the kids sing Christmas songs, eat cold ham, and go to bed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was Doug doing during this.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you end up giving the stranger your number???

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you end up giving the stranger your number???

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Doug already.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home