Chicago to Boston to Chicago

Monday, December 18, 2006


More temp work today.

While answering phones a person called asking to speak with Mr. Porter. It's a fairly common name; it was also my last name for the first seven years of my life. When Jesse and I were adpoted we decided, after our grandparents delicately brought it up the subject, to change our last names to _____. It made us feel more like thier own children.

I'm used to telling this story as I get to know people, but I haven't had to do it in a while. I guess I haven't really made any new friends in the last couple years. But now, in a city where no one knows me, at a job where I'm making new friends, I've had to tell it more than a few times.

After transferring the call to Mr. Porter I wondered 'what if my name were still Porter?' Sarah Porter. It rolls of the tongue nicely, maybe better than my own last name. But either way it was nice to have choice, even at a young age, to open a new chapter of my life, and close the other.

2 Comments:

Blogger blob bladewig said...

I wish those ducks were real.
Sarah Porter is a job I had in college.

I was a Sarah Porter.
Only Sarah's.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you know what Maher turns into for me, and I don't think Porter would have provided nearly enough Comic Relief

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home