Chicago to Boston to Chicago

Sunday, March 04, 2007


Nerdy, yes; but sometimes when I blog I can't help but get the song 'Changes' by David Bowie stuck in my head; and then I can't help but think to myself, is he saying 'change' or strain' at the end of the chorus.


So I looked it up. It is 'strain.' Upon further reading I noticed that it's actually a very sad and incredibly pessimistic song; dead end streets, warm impermanence, children being spit on, you get the idea.


I suppose it's natural to feel a certain amount of sadness about change. There is always the possibility things could have worked out better, or just differently, and not have changed. Maybe I could have been more adaptable. Maybe things in Boston could have been more open and accepting. Maybe we just weren't right for each other all along but kept holding onto the idea of being in love. Yes, this is officially a break up. I've been fighting using the analogy for various reasons but today I concede.


Changing the name on the blog came with its' own feeling of defeating permanence (like giving back the last of his stuff from your apartment. His CD's, that beer bottle opener he brought to your house and you can't remember why, his t-shirts that you wore to bed), so I suppose today 'strain' is fitting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home