Chicago to Boston to Chicago

Wednesday, September 06, 2006


Went the the White Sox v Red Sox game tonight. Again.

My life has changed, I get that. Things are different, I understand. This doesn't take away from the fact that it hard is to see the White Sox play in a place where people want them to lose. It's not ideal but I love the White Sox, so I go to the games.

And the same is true for a long distance relationship. This situation is not ideal, but I'm in love so we change our lives to make it work. Lots of phone conversations, sending pictures, IM-ing, texting, etc.

Before I moved people would ask if Arnie and I were going to stay together after the move. I said "yes, of course." Oddly enough I found many responses to be negative, even from close friends. The worst was the sigh, eye roll, and "good luck with that." It made me want to tell those people "I hope your dog gets hit by a car tomorrow" cause it would have the same sentiment.

I suppose if you love something, you'll make it work. If the White Sox go to the playoffs I'll make a road trip to New York. My team might be booed, it might be hard to be the underdog. I also know that the next game I go to in US Cellular Field will be that much sweeter, and in the end, I will love them more.
Score Today: White Sox 8 Red Sox 1

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know that these people haven't 'found that perfect someone'. Maybe they thought they had until distance and time atrophied the relationship. Maybe it wasn't the same as 'I hope your dog gets hit by a car', but rather, 'My dog got hit by a car once, and it looks to me like you are sending your dog into traffic, too'. Of course, your only other option is to shoot your dog before it can get near traffic, and that's stupid. Plus someone would call the ASPCA on you.
Point is, don't assume that there was rancor or bitterness behind the remarks. No one likes to see a relationship end. Not a good one, anyway.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did it. We were apart three years. Eight years later we're married, and it's amazing. I was sad a lot during those years. But not always. I

It's nice to have an ultimate plan. Without a light at the end of the tunnel it just feels like a hole (in your case, an Arnie shaped hole). A plan, even if it isn't absolute or definite, keeps you going.

Everybody has an opinion on this, no? Makes it worse than it really is. Whatever happens is for the best, and you will be even more fantastic for the experience. You moved for a reason, and all will be well.

best advice: good girlfriends, near or far.

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my name is on that pole. on the left side. if you go back this season, you can see it. it's up high.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home