Chicago to Boston to Chicago

Thursday, May 31, 2007


I've glad I've moved to Lincoln Square. The general mood is lighter, and people just seem happier, like they are enjoying their lives and taking pride in their community. It makes me feel like I should donate to public radio. That kind of happy.

Old Town School of Folk Music is in my neighborhood so you tend to see people (and kids) with musical instruments strapped to their back.

While on a walk today I noticed a man walking beside me. He had a guitar (not in the case) strapped to his chest with his arms at his side. We crossed Montrose Avenue, which I believe is the border between North Center and Lincoln Square, into Lincoln Square, and he started playing the guitar and singing at the top of lungs.

It's like he knew he was entering a magical land of Chicago where musicians weren't labeled as crazy if they felt like sharing their songs with passers by. He was finally with his people and needed to celebrate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mags said...

This is exactly the reason why someday I want to live in Chicago.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, not to be a dick to Mags, but this is my one pet peeve about Lincoln Square I have as a guitar player.

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home